Thursday, February 15, 2024

52 Ancestors - Week 7 - Immigration

WEEK 7 – Immigration

By Cynthia Keefer Patton

Ever wonder if your ancestors immigrated through Ellis Island? Did any of them come over on the Mayflower? These are probably the original questions that get people started in the hobby of genealogy. You remember the old conversations with aunts and grandparents.

“We are from Germany. My people were Scotch-Irish.”

But where were my ancestors from and when did they immigrate?

IRELAND – I have several families that immigrated from Ireland, mostly Northern Ireland, as early as 1740. They were John Cathcart (Kithcart) from Balleymoney in Antrim; Sarah White from Ulster; William Andrews from Portglenome; and Robert McNitt from Laggan in Ulster.

ENGLAND – From here came William H. P. Mitchell native of Devonshire; Jane Anne Pellow from Cornwall; George Dicks from Wiltshire; Alexander Thomas from Cornwall, Wales; and Emma Priddy from Blaenavon, Monmouthshire, Wales.

GERMANY – From this region I have Francis Echard born in Otterberg, Bayern; Johan George Hoffheintz of Rittershausen; and my maiden name ancestor Johan Henry Keefer from Baden.

I have yet to really explore and verify all these places of origin, and will start later this fall in Ireland setting out to visit my ancestral homelands. After that, on to England, Wales, and Germany. I am sure this will help me understand more about how they lived, where they lived, and how much their lives changed after they made the journey to America.


No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors - Week 42- Full House

52 Ancestors – WEEK 42 – Full House By Cynthia Keefer Patton   Many of my paternal families had large families. There were LOTS of children....