Sunday, June 9, 2024

52 Ancestors - Week 23 - Health

 52 Ancestors – WEEK 23 – Health

By Cynthia Keefer Patton

We attended my husband Denny Fitterling's 50th high school reunion this weekend in Warrensburg, Missouri. 50 or so of the original 132 graduates attended. I was so amazed at the good overall health of the group. They had only lost 15 classmates in fifty years.

The older I get the more I focus on ways to improve my health--physical, spiritual, intellectual, and mental. Probably the mental health aspect is just as important as anything.

I know my own father who lived until 96 despite smoking for 40 years of his life and eating way too much bologna always had an "optimistic" attitude and embraced each day with the attitude of finding the good in something. He wasn't much of a grouser and rarely talked about his aches and pains or ailments.

I watched in awe this week as American Airlines flew 70 surviving World War II veterans back to Normandy for the 80th Anniversary. 80th Normandy Anniversary

They were all in the 90's and many over 100. What has allowed them this longevity. Part of it could be the knowledge that at one time they survived unbearable odds and have lived with gratitude. They know and appreciate the great gift of health care and healthy living options here in the U.S. 

As a Veteran who has travelled the world and seen abject poverty and repression I never take for granted the chance to live my healthy lifestyle here in America.


No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors - Week 42- Full House

52 Ancestors – WEEK 42 – Full House By Cynthia Keefer Patton   Many of my paternal families had large families. There were LOTS of children....