Tuesday, May 21, 2024

52 Ancestors - Week 21 - Nicknames

52 Ancestors – WEEK 21 – Nicknames 

By Cynthia Keefer Patton

My great-grandfather Charles Wesley Thomas was born in 1882 in small coal mining town in western Pennsylvania called Nemacolon part of Greene county. His family were Welch and immigrated to America in the 1760's.

My father always called him "Bumpy". I used to ask why and he would jokingly laugh and say that when he died[1], he had a sudden heart attack and fell down the cellar stairs. The vision in my head of him bumping his way to the bottom made sense. His obituary in the Connellsville Daily Courier upheld the story with his nickname listed.[2]

Later, when I was older, I interviewed my Dad and he told me that at age 9, his first job was in a coal mine as a "trapper boy" who hooked the coal cars together. He also told me he played baseball in the minor leagues. Charles obituary says only that he was a “well-known sandlot baseball player.” Well for me that is close enough.


[1] Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1970, digital images (ancestry.com: accessed 21 May 2024) record for Charles W. Thomas, 9 April 1952, certificate 33690. Cause of death listed as coronary occlusion.

[2] Obituary, GRIM REAPER, Charles Thomas, The Daily Courier, Connellsville, PA, April 10, 1952, p. 2.


No comments:

Post a Comment

52 Ancestors - Week 42- Full House

52 Ancestors – WEEK 42 – Full House By Cynthia Keefer Patton   Many of my paternal families had large families. There were LOTS of children....